Thursday, May 01, 2008

Anniversary. Drivers. Wok.

Happy Wedding Anniversary to my husband and me. :D :D 1st May 2000. It's 8 years since the day I put on a black dress and married him in front of his family and friends. To date, we still remembered how the boutique assistants' where I bought my dress, had dropped their jaws when I told them my husband is coming to pay for my dress (which would mean he is going to see the dress) .... they couldn't fathom the fact that we were already living together, and would still be sleeping together the night before, and leaving the house together go to the Registrar! We still remember I've had my hair and make-up all done up, but was starving so we bought some KFC popcorn chicken to pop into my mouth so it won't muck up my lipstick. We also remember going for a movie the night before our wedding cos we were so bored at home!! LOL...

Peter was invited by some big shot bosses at work to go to Bali for some R&R. Spouses were invited but we have no one to leave our kids with, and it costs a few thousand dollars to take them. So I get to miss out.... SO BUMMED... :( :( They stayed in Four Seasons Resort, everyone with their own hut, own pool, gala dinners, tours, massages, ... this is the part where you really feel like blaming your children, no matter how bad it sounds. sigh....

**Anyhoo... I have to add this special paragraph in amongst all the other things I wanted to blog about. Just as I was still lamenting how I missed out on Bali, my hubby came home from work, .... with my wedding anniversary present!!! I could not believe my eyes... an iPod Touch!!! With 32 gB!!! I just briefly mentioned weeks ago... that I've never been interested in an iPod cos I won't get a chance to use it much! In the car I like listening to the radio, at home when I'm on the computer, I have my iTunes on. But I was impressed with the new iPod Touch... it's an iPhone minus the phone! Just a few days ago, I won an auction on eBay for a brand new Alannah Hill handbag (RRP$399) for $190. I had to ask him if I can buy it and he said OK. I thought it would be my anniversary present. But THIS iPod Touch IS my anniversary present. Gotta love him for spoiling me.**

A few vents about Australian drivers. Forget about cars being roadworthy, how about looking at our drivers on the road, and making them roadworthy for a change?

1. Why do we have drivers on the road that drive 10km/h UNDER the speed limit, leave 8 car lengths ahead of them... AND STILL BE STEPPING ON THEIR BRAKES FOR NO RHYME AND REASON????????!!!!!!!!! People NEED to understand, that stopping for no reason causes accidents!!!!

2. Australian drivers need to be re-educated about right of way when driving -- When driving on a main road making a left turn into a minor road, YOU DON'T STOP to give way to cars from the opposite direction trying to make a right turn!!!!!! YOU HAVE RIGHT OF WAY!!!!!! Safety first ahead of courtesy, people! You can be courteous but not at the expense of safety, get it?

Vent over.

I've always had conversations with my western friends about Chinese cooking. The wok is a very important utensil in my kitchen. If my wok dies (and it has not happened since I owned my first wok), I would be a nervous wreck. Once and for all ... my tips, if they are worthy of anything:

1. The best source of heat is FIRE, so gas cooktops are most suitable for woks. Notice there is a special burner on cooktops call wok burners?? And it's usually the biggest momma on the cooktop? That's because intense heat IS essential for the wok. Double- or triple-ring is good. Ever seen Chinese chefs using small pissy fires under their woks?

2. Woks. No need for expensive non stick woks. If you embrace the laws of the wok, a cheapie cast iron one from the Asian grocery shops should last you for decades.

Laws of the wok
a. PRIME - It's seasoning of the wok. Wash it with soap and water (FOR THIS FIRST TIME ONLY AND IT SHOULD NEVER SEE SOAP AGAIN), put it over the burner and let it heat to it's dry and smoking. Pour cooking oil (I use peanut oil as it has a higher burning temp) into the wok and continue to heat the wok, while slowly swirling the oil in the wok. You will need to keep doing this until the inside of the wok turns black, as if it's burnt (probably a 5-minutes process?). Discard the oil safely. Then repeat this process of burning the cooking oil.

This PRIMING process 'seals' the wok. Once it's primed, rinse it in the water AND WATER ONLY. Then you place the wet wok back on the burner, heat it till it's dry.

b. WASHING - You NEVER wash your primed wok in soap EVER again. Everytime you use it, you wash it in hot water with a wok brush or just a scrub. When you start washing it in soap water, is when it will start rusting.

c. DRYING - NEVER drip dry your wok. Avoid cloth-drying as well. You put the wok on a burner and let the heat do the job. Should you worry about any bacteria because you weren't loyal to your detergent, the heat is enough to kill it. ;) (And anything that doesn't kill you makes you stronger.)

d. COOKING - ALWAYS heat your wok till it's smoking before you add oil. And always wait till your oil is very hot before you add ANYTHING into it to cook. How to tell when oil is very hot? When it's smoking. When you cook, you need to hear loud sizzles. You know how you go to a Chinese restaurant and a waiter holding a black hot plate of some kind of stir fry walking past you? THAT is the sizzle you want to hear. No sizzle, no stir fry.

e. REMOVING STAINS - if you get food stuck on your wok, it's probably because you haven't got the wok hot enough. However and occasionally, food does get stuck because of the caramelising of the seasoning/food. DO NOT WASH WITH DETERGENT!!! Slap your hand everytime you think about using detergent on your wok. Just soak in hot water and some scrubbing will do the job.

I hope I've shed some light about the wok. Enjoy your stir fries.

I did some layouts over the weekend at a crop at Ruey's. Will take some pics tomorrow and share. It's way past bed time now... 2.35am...eeeks. Good night!

4 Comments:

Blogger Cass said...

Thanks heaps for the wok tips. I must shamefully admit that mine has seen detergent many, many times. I think my best option here is to throw it in the bin, buy a new wok, and use it /care for it properly.
Might result in nicer stir-fries! :)

May 06, 2008 11:43 pm  
Blogger Belinda Venables said...

I am such a slacker.
Happy anniversary to you and your hubby.
Also - thankyou thankyou for my RAK.
I have been really busy and can't remember if I emailed you to say thanks.
I haven't used any of my stuff yet - but I will let you know when I do.
Thanks again Michelle.
Enjoy your day.
Belinda
xx

May 08, 2008 12:39 pm  
Blogger Jennie (Jenn) said...

Happy Wedding Anniversary !!!

May 11, 2008 7:36 pm  
Blogger Felicity said...

Oh Mich, You crack me up. As an Aussie all of the bad driving you mentioned drives me crazy as well. Thanks for the tips on the wok. Remind me to hide mine before you come over. LOL Opps better take it out of the dishwasher first. xxxxFelicity.

May 15, 2008 9:33 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home