Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Another year older. Another year wiser.

Yes, today is my birthday. My 38th. Have you ever imagined how your life would be like at 38 when you were 18? People only look forward to milestones, they look forward to 16, 18, 21, 30... actually, some don't really look forward to 30. They think they are getting old. Don't you just shake your head and feel like shaking them up when 27 or 28yo girls tell you that they are afraid to turn 30 because that's "old"?

Did you look forward to those 'milestones' when you were much younger? And did you stop celebrating birthdays after you turned 30 because you thought life is just about over the hump so there's nothing to celebrate?

I didn't. I loved it when I turned 30 and loved reaching my birthday every year after that. No different today. I even look forward to my next milestone... the 40th! I don't know why. I just am. It might sound tacky to you, but I do celebrate life. OK... there are lots of day-to-day frustrations and mundane stuff that I may whinge about, but seriously, life in the big picture is good. I have a roof over my head, and I have my healthy family, we are living in a country with no war and killings. What's not good about life? And with that... I'd like to share a part of me that I've not shared with many before.

Most people do not know, I have had a previous marriage, in Singapore. I got married at 21, and gave birth to a baby girl when I was 23. We named her Vickie. When we split in 1997, I made a very hard decision to let him have custody of her. My rationale was he has a close-knit family, and his mom has always helped us look after her, whereas I would be a single mum, with no support, my mom works, so there will be no way I could have supported her. I honestly felt that she would be better off with them. For all these years, and I still do, I questioned myself, my conscience .... could I have done anything differently? To make matters worse, I dropped communications with her for many years. I tried keeping it up when I first moved here to Australia, but then the number of times I call her cut down. Then there were none. As the lapse between phone calls got bigger, I felt more and more embarrassed to pick up the phone again. I just didn't know what to say? I'm sorry? I didn't think it'll cut it. Effectively, I was responsible for losing contact. I was never there for her when she was growing up. I wasn't there for her when she had great results for her exams. I wasn't there for her when she needed a mother.

As the years went by, I became more and more guilt-ridden. My 2007 resolution was to contact her again. And I did. It took me a while to compose that first email, but I eventually did it. There was no reply from her after 3-4 emails, but one day, she replied. Didn't say much, but she replied and that was ALL I wanted. I wasn't expecting her to forgive me. I wasn't expecting her to warm up to me. I was expecting her to hate me.

We are now on each other's MSN. I will have lots of monologue sessions, sometimes decorated with monosyllable answers. Again, it's a start. I have literally abandoned her for so long, I really don't expect her to fall in love with me again. I'm just grateful that she is not logging off MSN in the midst of our conversation.

I know this is very private and many people may not want to know about this. But I've battled this dilemma for a long time, and I don't think I want to hide her existence. She exists in my life, she has been a part of my life for 14 years. I cannot turn back the clock and undo what I did, but I can make changes from now on. I am responsible for the void that I've left in her life. I would love for her to be part of my family too, when she is ready. I'd love to scrapbook about her, except I don't really have photos of her other than those she took of herself with her phone. So, I'll work on that.

So there.... it's out. I have a 14yo daughter in Singapore. Her name is Vickie. She's in Secondary 3 (Year 9 equivalent). I am not sure how she would feel about this if she ever read it, but I'd like to honour her existence, for no better word.

When you have recovered from shock, picked up your jaws from the floor, and now change your mind about what kind of person I am, you can make a comment on this post, perhaps wish me Happy Birthday, or perhaps even say HI to Vickie. I have a little something to giveaway because today, I am Birthday Girl so I can. Leave a comment by Friday midnight. I will draw the name on Saturday.

(And before any blog smackers come in and start any form of abuse, you can save your breath. Nothing you say are things that I have not already said to myself, so go find something new to amuse yourself.)

Have a GREAT day!

34 Comments:

Blogger Claire said...

Happy Birthday Michelle! I was deeply moved by your post. I can't imagine how difficult that was to write, but I imagine in doing so you have taken the first huge leap in forgiving yourself. I actually have amazing respect for people who can reflect on their life the way you have and question if that was the right thing to do (there probably was no right and wrong and noone else could ever know what that was anyway). There are no life rules. We just muddle along and do our best with people who care for us by our side. You should be proud of yourself for reaching out to her again. You will always be her mother and who knows what 39 will bring :)

January 16, 2008 5:13 pm  
Blogger Jaimee said...

happy birthday Michelle
wow. that must have been quite a challenge to write. My opnion has certainly not changed of you Mich, we all make mistakes its what we choose to do next thats important, best of luck with rebuilding your relationship with Vickie, i wish you BOTH the very best. hugs to you

January 16, 2008 5:30 pm  
Blogger KimA said...

Mich I really hope that by you reaching back out that you are able to mend the relationship with your daughter. I think it takes an enormous amount of courage to have made that first step. Congrats again on your birthday - another amazing milestone

January 16, 2008 5:34 pm  
Blogger JACQ said...

first off - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
2nd ly, thank you so much for sharing so much about yourself. It must have taken a lot to put that down into words, much less launching it into cyberspace. I wish you the very very best in keeping in touch with your girl, it's really great that you are making baby steps in renewing that bond with her. :) jacq

January 16, 2008 6:34 pm  
Blogger Mel Nunn said...

Hi Michelle... Happy birthday. I was surprised but not shocked by your post. Good on you for being so strong and thoughtful for your daughter at a time that was crucial for her. I hope she understands. Hi Vickie! Your Mum is an amazing lady... I hope you guys dont lose touch.

I think no less of you mich, seems you had to make a tough choice.

Take care,
Mel

January 16, 2008 7:24 pm  
Blogger Belinda Venables said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU...HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU..HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR MICHELLE...HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU...hip-hip, hooray...hip-hip hooray!

Michelle. I was totally moved by your post. I don't think that you are a bad person at all. I think you are a brave woman. As much as you may not think it, you were very brave leaving your daughter and by the sounds of things only wanted the best life for her.
My wish for you is that Vickie and yourself reunite one day and you get to have a beautiful relationship with your daughter!
If Vickie ever reads this a BIG hello from me! Vickie, although i have never met your mother iin real life, she is a beautiful, kind hearted and funny person and I hope you can find it in your hear to get to know her.
Take care Michelle and don't EVER let anyone bully you about this. The past is the past and all you need to do is make the future a good one!
Luv Belinda
xx

January 16, 2008 10:01 pm  
Blogger Pandachu said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Its touching that you chose to share ur story with the rest of the world by posting it in ur blog. I hope ur finally at peace and remember, we should not be judged only by our past, what is most important is who we are now

January 16, 2008 10:38 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Michelle, I am a FAN/lurker of your blog and what you wrote touched me and in NO way made me think differently! I found out from a fortune teller that my mum had to give up her child and I have never had the courage to find her....the guilt, the pain the WHAT ifs my mother struggles with daily!!!
thanks for sharing and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

January 16, 2008 10:38 pm  
Blogger Narelle said...

Happy Birthday Michelle, and a big huge Aussie Hello to Vickie!!

I want to say Thank You for sharing your journey with us- and I wish you both luck as happiness as oyu slowly establish a new relationship together.

God bless you both.

January 17, 2008 7:57 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello birthday girl, wishing you for a better & greater year, especially on the personal level with your eldest daughter. From my experience with my niece & nephew, 9grader doesn't talk much to adults. They basically think we are un-cool. But they like to know that we are around & we care, so monologue is pretty common. Don't give up & keep up the communication. Things will improve in the end.

January 17, 2008 1:00 pm  
Blogger Jorja said...

Happy Birthday Michelle...Loved the Mud Cake (nice choice Peter)...Hi Vickie!!! Just wanted to let you know that your mother is a very special person in my life. We crossed paths through scrapbooking of course and I hope that you both continue to keep in touch...All the very best for 2008!

January 17, 2008 5:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Mich. Congratulations on your very brave step towards a better relationship between Vickie and yourself. I hope that time can heal both of your hearts.
I have a feeling 2008 will be an amazing year for you.

January 17, 2008 8:28 pm  
Blogger June said...

Happy Birthday Michelle! What has happened in the past is past. It's what you do in the future that's important.

January 18, 2008 1:18 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I am Vickie's School Counsellor. She told me that she was very touched and cried when she read what you wrote ! I think she really want to meet you in person but sometimes it's difficult cos it's been so long already ... Anyway, just to let you know that she does shares with me about you and she remembers you !

Kee Peng
P.S. She is reading what I write now !

January 18, 2008 2:13 pm  
Blogger EverydayRamblings365 said...

Wow Michelle, what a strong brave woman you are! Especially to ahve made a decision liek that many years ago! I applaud you! May the light always shine down on your and Vicki! ALl the best! My sincerest thoughts are with you!

January 19, 2008 1:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!

January 19, 2008 5:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who are we to question the decisions you have made in your life? We were not there, not in your shoes.....so who knows what decision the rest of us would have made if we were put in your shoes.

January 19, 2008 5:51 pm  
Blogger Elizabeth Em said...

Happy birthday (again!)

Michelle I know it's hard but try not to beat yourself up for what you did. You did what you believed to be the right thing at the time. I'm sure Vickie will understand that in the years to come if not already. You'll have to work on the photo thing... would love to see you doing teenager layouts :D

January 19, 2008 6:59 pm  
Blogger Sharon Larmour said...

Happy Birthday Michelle.

I hope this year is the beginning of a new chapter. I really admire you for being brave enough to move forward and make tomorrow a better day for both of you.

January 19, 2008 9:50 pm  
Blogger Kristine said...

Michelle - firstly Happy Birthday for the other day. Glad you got the card in time. :)

Please try not to be so hard on yourself. I am in awe that at the age of 23 years or so, you had the frame of mind to consider the type of future your little girl might have and make a totally selfless and heartbreaking decision to give her the best future she could have had at the time. I don't think that I would have had that sort of strength. Actually, I know I wouldn't. Thanks so much for sharing this and no, you haven't morphed into an ogre as a result in my eyes! You are a super strong person. And hi to Vickie! Nice to "meet" you to. :)

January 19, 2008 10:18 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy birthday for the other day! Big hugs to you - it's encouraging to read such an honest account of a difficult time, and it's insipiring to know that someone has the courage to post something so honest about something so personal. Take care, and here's to some future healing in your relationship!

January 20, 2008 12:52 am  
Blogger welcome to my world said...

congratulations on celebrating your birthday....im 27 and i look forward to being 30...bring it on!
Wow what an awesome post it made proud to know an amazingly brave and honest woman. Im sure your daughter appreciates your efforts and will look to you for support one day. You made such a selfless decision and it is so admirable especially for how young you were.Your decision is your decision and it is great that you are 'at peace' with it.
Vickie will fall in love with your candedness and humor when she meets you i know i did. you are truly amazing. keep trying it will pay off soon.

January 20, 2008 9:35 pm  
Blogger Lou Spiden said...

Hi Michelle,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY
I don't think you need to feel bad or worry about what other people will think. You have and are doing your best. No one has the right to judge relationships no matter what the situation. Many people would have taken the easy way out and made an awful life for everyone - you made a the tough decision!
Lou

January 21, 2008 9:49 am  
Blogger Marie said...

Happy belated birthday, Michelle.

Wow, you are so brave and courageous!!!! To leave behind someone who you clearly loved deeply so that they could have a life that you felt your daughter should have, is true love.

It sounds to me, from what is written between the lines from Vickie's school counsellor, that she loves you, too.

I pray that you and she will get to meet irl again soon.

Thankyou for sharing something that must have been very painful.

January 21, 2008 3:56 pm  
Blogger twosweetkids said...

Thanks for sharing your past with us - it must have taken lots of courage to share what you did, and I salute you for that! All the best in building your relationship with Vickie! :)

January 21, 2008 6:27 pm  
Blogger Wati Basri said...

hei Michelle...Happy Belated Birthday...*hugz*

January 22, 2008 10:18 am  
Blogger Wati Basri said...

oh Mich..that is entry just make me cry...*hugz* u did good!!

January 22, 2008 10:21 am  
Blogger Sri said...

Happy Birthday Michelle!!! Don't be too hard on yourself. There's still time. Think positive and look ahead.

January 22, 2008 2:21 pm  
Blogger Trish said...

Happy Birthday Michelle :)
Hi Vickie
You Mum is an amazing woman who makes me laugh :)
I hope you both get to continue and enjoy your relationship :)
Hugs to you both :)

Trish

January 22, 2008 8:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday Michelle ! I respect your courage to write all. I choose to remain Anonymous because I don't have your courage. I am on the other side of the fence. My parents divorced when I was six and my mom left me with my grandmother. She wasn't there when I needed her, she wasn't there when I was growing up, she just wasn’t there. I remember crying myself to sleep many nights wondering why I was brought into this world, why are people so irresponsible ? The divorce was my father’s fault (he had an affair) but strangely, I seem to blame my mother more. I will be 40 next birthday. My mom does contact me occasionally now but I can only muster lukewarm response no matter how hard I try. It is difficult…really difficult. So, please do have a lot of patience and a lot of love. I sincerely wish you and Vickie all the best in rebuilding your relationship. I believe it will mean a lot to her too. ~M~

January 23, 2008 12:31 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Michelle
Happy Birthday for the other day.... and OMG! That was a bit of a shock - and I can't imagine how HARD of a decision it would have been for you! I am glad you have made contact again and that there is some form of contact! My Mum and her Father have only just started making contact after 30+ years - it is sad to think of all that time they have missed - but also there is so much more time in the future too - TAKE CARE! and thanks for sharing! You are VERY BRAVE!!!
Love ya Charmane

January 25, 2008 8:02 am  
Blogger Nura Keif said...

Happy Belated Birthday!! Thanks for sharing...all the best for 2008:-D

January 28, 2008 3:38 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Belated Birthday to you! Thank you for sharing your experience on your blog! It touched my heart and I think that it was a very couragious decision that you made at such a young age! Yuo are a very strong woman. I myself am a single mother of two young children--6 and 2 years old. What matters is that you took the steps to get back in touch with her and she is still young so God willing you guys have time to try to mend that patch, you know? I hope that all works out well!

January 31, 2008 9:15 am  
Blogger shmj said...

Babe - 1st of all, A very very Happy Belated B'day!

2nd of all - I'm really glad that you shared this with me many moons ago when we were on msn. I never questioned you on the decision that you made when you shared this with me & I will not start now.

Its definitely no mean feat to admit that the contact lost with your dd is your responsibilties least of all post it all out here.
I sincerely hope that you & your dd will be able to make peace with each other soon & that you two would be there for each other in the years to come.

The years gone are lost but its really heartwarming to read that you at least are making a huge effort to try to keep the communication going again.

Wishing you loads of luck!
Sandy

February 03, 2008 2:30 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home