Monday, November 19, 2007

I'm not a cardmaker.

You know how I complained last post that I took too long to make those cards? Suzanne said, "Well, you can't be too good at it, cos then you'll end up liking it." Suzanne is really a very funny person.

So... I did a "tell & show" to my husband that I made 12 Christmas cards at the crop. I told first ... he asked if I could make a dozen for him too so he can give them out to his colleagues. Then I showed him the cards. Then a dozen became two. Nothing like a bit of pressure before we leave for our holidays!

Problem is I don't have a set of nice Christmas stamps. I hunted down a set of Hero Arts one from eBay... and got the seller to send it Express to me.


Then I wanted this set, which Suzanne had at the crop and I used it and fell in love with it. She got them from Brimbank Lincraft (the store near me) months back. They are worth $4.00.


So naturally, I went to that store to look for it... and they didn't have it. I thought I wasn't careful enough and walked around the shelves like 6 times. I even took my son out of the store to the toilets because he had to go, and then came back in and loitered around the same shelves another 6 times. There was no miracle.

Then I got home and started ringing all the Lincraft stores I could possibly get to. None of them had it. I GOOGLED every possible way the stamp could be called, I eBay-searched every possible way the stamp could be listed. I rang interstate brick and mortar shops to find them. I rang the distributor. This was becoming Mission Impossible and it went on for 2-3 dedicated days. Then, Suzanne rang me one night and said she found the stamp for me... at friggin Brimbank Lincraft. I was gobsmacked. And she even drove to my house to drop the $4 stamp off for me. How gorgeous is she??????

So I spent a Saturday doing these...








So Ruey kept calling me a cardmaker now and I kept denying it. Don't get me wrong, I don't resent the "title". I just don't think I'm qualified. To me, cardmakers make cards for leisure and pleasure. They make cards for "standy-by" just in case they need them for an occasion. They make cards to use up their scrap stash. I have utmost respect for people who do that. I'm none of those. I make a birthday card when I have to go to a birthday party, or attend something birthday party-ish. I made my 1st dozen of Christmas cards because I started making them last year so I can't slip back into store-bought Christmas cards. The next 2 dozens are "ordered" by the man of the house who pays for most of my scrap stash .... so I actually kinda find it hard to say no. LOL...

So there you have it. I'm not a true cardmaker, just a short order adhoc cardmaker. bwahahahaha....

14 Comments:

Blogger Pandachu said...

I think your x'mas cards are better than ANY store cards I have ever seen and it has the added bonus of being 'homemade'. Keep up the good work! I think u really hav something good going there!

November 19, 2007 5:39 pm  
Blogger KimA said...

Georgeous cards Mich - maybe you should become a cardmaker ;o)

November 19, 2007 5:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're hilarious Mich, and your cards are gorgeous! I agree with Kim - I think you should definitely add card maker to your business card!

November 19, 2007 8:12 pm  
Blogger Jorja said...

Love your cards Mich....Now I know which $4 stamp you mean! I have one of those hidden somewhere in my stash, I should dig it out and use it. I also like your flocked red and green paper ;)

November 19, 2007 8:55 pm  
Blogger Liz said...

Michelle your cards are lovely....they have some not bad $4 stamps at Lincraft.
Love the Hero Arts set.

November 19, 2007 9:04 pm  
Blogger Lyndal said...

CONGRATULATIONS short order adhoc cardmaker. bwahahahaha.... Just Gorgeous!!!!

November 20, 2007 1:00 pm  
Blogger aichaku-愛着 said...

Your cards are so lovely! I'm going to steal some ideas if you don't mind. I plan to make some cards to give to my family ... if I make it in time for Christmas!

November 20, 2007 1:38 pm  
Blogger { Yu'er } said...

They're beautiful!

November 26, 2007 3:44 pm  
Blogger Felicity said...

Oh my gosh they are fantastic cards Michelle. Love them. You totally rock making cards.

November 28, 2007 1:40 pm  
Blogger fleurie said...

GORGEOUS cards michelle...im impressed.

November 29, 2007 8:35 pm  
Blogger Elizabeth Em said...

Michelle they're gorgeous!!!! I started off as a card maker and now I make them like you... because I have to LOL

December 02, 2007 2:00 pm  
Blogger Anne-Marie said...

Beautiful cards nonetheless. :)

December 06, 2007 8:07 pm  
Blogger Steph Devlin said...

Michelle - not a card maker ?? OMG Girl they are gorgeous!!!! Please do more!!

I loved your Princess 4 a day layout. Hambly are my No 1 Fav. Product so we have that in common !!! Glad to find your blog hon.

Steph xo

December 14, 2007 3:56 pm  
Blogger Jennie (Jenn) said...

wow!!! they are beautiful! Mich...
lovely cards you made...

December 28, 2007 4:59 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home