Saturday, September 27, 2008

Passion-less. Expedit. Try.

I have not been scrapping. I don't know what has gone wrong, and I don't like that feeling. It just seems like I cannot find time. Well, not that I cannot find time, but when I have time, I'd much rather veg in front of the TV and watch my favourite TV shows and relax. Have I lost my passion for scrapping? THAT is the feeling I'm afraid to confront. I don't want to lose it. The fact that I don't have scrapping space doesn't really help, but surely, I can't always blame it on that? Help me people .... what has gone wrong? How do I get my passion back?

That said, my hubby got very sick of my scrap stash conquering the floors of our study. They are growing like weeds and we can no longer find a path. He got me the infamous Ikea Expedit shelf and has ordered me to clean up or else....yikes.... so I did. It took me nearly a week to sort out all the crap off the floor (and that's just the floor!). I haven't ventured into my dining table stuff yet. :(

These are birthday cards for Ellen's classmates' as she was invited to their birthday parties. I had to make them because I started a trend in her class, didn't I? I can't not make a card for one kid and not the rest! Here they are...

A card and matching envelope using Cosmo Cricket's Cogsmo papers for Peter.

And these are for Trei and Taylah (twins). The chipboard boy and girl were the Crop For Kids embellishments. If anyone is interested in getting them, just let me know. :)


I have made quite a lot of observations lately. Well, since I haven't been scrapping, my mind better be put to good use doing something else, right? :) I won't dump it all in one post but I will start sharing this one with you which rang true to me.

My son's kinder teacher is a lovely lady and obviously, a fantastic teacher. Ellen was taught by her and now Phaedon too. When it comes to computers, she is absolutely clueless. She has one in her office, but it serves its basic purpose in its boring life - for her to type out her reports in Word, print photos and basic email functions. And I mean, basic. I recently showed her how to send an email with attachment and she was elated. When she recently got a new camera and couldn't get her photos printed the same way the old camera did, she was a damsel in distress. I got a big hug from her just by pressing a few buttons and showing her how to minimize a screen to get her back to the desktop. She just couldn't handle the change, the need to learn new technology or new methods to do things. Don't we all?! Especially a new computer, a new camera, a new piece of audio/video equipment, etc. But it just dawned on me, why do we do differently to what we teach? Don't we always encourage our children to try new things, to explore, to venture, to experience and learn? Do we tell them to give up because they can't handle it? Do we tell them it's too hard before they even try? And if you do, please stop. Children don't know what is "too hard" unless you tell them so. If they want to read a book that is a little beyond their level, indulge them. They may well get bored and lose interest, but at least let them try and find out for themselves. You never know, they might really enjoy it. Anyway back to my original point, I challengingly asked her (only because we are friendly), "But you teach our children to try new things, explore new equipment all the time!" And her answer was, "Yeah, but I just never found the need to learn this."

When did we stop trying and decide that new things are too hard to learn? Or worse, when did we decide there is no "need" to learn? Did becoming a mom stop us? Did age? Are there other priorities that precede setting an example for our children?

It was a lightbulb moment for me. I decided I need to be more conscious of how my children will perceive me and how they will learn from me. If I am resistant to change, so will my children, and I don't want that in them. Life is too short for them not to make the best of everyday, or for them to be hindered or deterred if they want to try something. So do it, my friends. Try or learn something new this week, do it for yourself and for your children. If you do... do come back and tell me about it. :)

I didn't mean to be philosophical on my first post after disappearing for so long. hehehe...

On a lighter note, I do have a few "Michelle-you-must-scrap-this" ideas...
1. My son declares that black and white are not colours.
2. My son asked me why I ate him ... looking at the photos of me when he was "in my tummy".
3. The tooth fairy visits....

Have a great weekend. :) :)

4 Comments:

Blogger welcome to my world said...

hay mich
i feel the same anout scrapping i hop the mojo returns soon...for us both.
i have an expedit too i recently bough the cupboard's that slide into the holes and love them.
ill try to fund something new to try just 4u.
:)

September 29, 2008 10:13 am  
Blogger Lyndal said...

Hiya Michelle :)
Hope your mojo finds its way back to you ASAP - I've found the SYTYCS comp at Scraptacular has helped mine!
I'm with you on the "learning new things" bandwagon - I've done about 6 short courses this year to help keep my brain from rotting LOL :)
Lyndal

September 30, 2008 12:52 pm  
Blogger Aida Haron, Singapore said...

Mich did the box of papers get to you ?

I know what you mean about learning and staying current ! The learning curve switching from pc to Mac was tough but had to be done, and now I LOVE working on the Mac as it's so much easier, faster ...... the big plus is : it's ALL mine, no sharing with the girls !!!

When women tell me they don't even know how to use email, have NO email addy, don't find the internet a useful life tool, it truly puzzles me ? I tell them about getting recipes online, tons of information, keeping up with trends or news, they tell me they have no time, and these are stay home moms. Yet they have time to watch hundreds of hours of taped Korean soap operas. How can a person not be wired these days ? And don't get me started on some of the scrappers here ......... they have no clue about how much inspiration, techniques and information is available online. When I mention manufacturer bloga and galleries the comment is *what's that ?*

October 04, 2008 11:07 am  
Blogger mezzo mish said...

Hi Michelle
Its another michelle here. Just want to say that the scrapbooking mojo comes back when it is ready. I felt the last 2-3 months that I have hardly done anything, and then 'bang', the scrapbooking vibe just comes back fresh and alive. Maybe you need a break doing another hobby and then when you come back to scrapping, you will feel refreshed! Enjoy the relaxation time. Perhaps you need it.

October 10, 2008 4:58 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home